The Cass Colonels fell to the Calhoun Yellow Jackets on Friday night by a score of 35-14.

Like last week, Cass had problems holding onto the football with its first turnover occurring on the opening kickoff. Calhoun recovered the muffed kick and scored just a few plays later to take an early 7-0 lead. Cass then drove the ball into Calhoun territory on its first offensive drive of the game, but it ended abruptly with an interception at the Calhoun 25-yard line. Once again, Calhoun was able to convert the turnover into points.

Cass held onto the football on its second drive, which ended on a Fredi Gbadie touchdown run. The scoring drive was set up on a long pass from Devin Henderson to Kevin Henderson. The Colonel defense forced a punt, and once again the offense drove into the Yellow Jacket red zone. But another fumble proved catastrophic and ended the threat. Calhoun, once again, was able to convert the turnover into points and take a 21-7 lead.

Cass did score before the half to make it a 21-14 game and momentum appeared to be favoring the Colonels when Calhoun fumbled on its opening drive of the second half. Cass got into the red zone before the offense sputtered but was still set up for a 32-yard field goal. But the kick was blocked and Calhoun now had possession at its own 16-yard line. The Yellow Jackets scored two plays later to once again hold a two-touchdown advantage.

Cass had several opportunities late in the game to cut into the Calhoun lead, but on both of its red zone opportunities in the fourth quarter, the offense turned the ball over. Once the ball went out of the end zone for a touchdown and another was a ball thrown over the head of the intended receiver and into the hands of the Calhoun secondary. The Yellow Jacket offense added a late score to capitalize the victory.

In a game decided by three possessions, Cass’ five turnovers proved costly to the Colonels.

Cass will now play Blessed Trinity on Friday night in a game that will determine seeding for both schools in the state playoffs.