The Cartersville City Board of Education met in regular session on Monday, November 9, 2020.
The Character Word for the month is Cooperation: Working together to accomplish a common goal.
The Matthew Hill-Michael Dean HEARTS Employee of the Month for November (Teacher) is Ms. Jenny Collier,
a teacher at Cartersville High School. Ms. Collier’s classroom is an excellent model of the Capturing Kids Hearts framework. She values her students and works to build a culture of trust and consistency in the classroom where students grow academically, socially and emotionally. When situations arise, Ms. Collier regularly refers to the Canes Code and the classroom’s social contract to maintain a productive learning environment. One of her nominators said, “Ms. Collier is open-minded and always willing to do whatever is necessary to ensure her students succeed. It is a pleasure to work with her!” New Frontier of Bartow County, Inc. proudly sponsors the Hill-Dean HEARTS Employee of the Month Award and Jenny will receive a $50.00 gift certificate to Appalachian Grill, along with her name being added to a perpetual plaque displayed at the Cartersville Board Office.
Maria Davis and Paula Womack reported on Homeless Awareness Month, which occurs in November each year.
Principals gave updates and reports for each of their schools.
Under Business, The System Financial and Utility Cost and Usage Reports for the month of September 2020 were presented and approved.
The Board approved a resolution to phase out Cartersville High School facilities. This resolution is needed because “phase 2” will be constructed/completed before the next renewal comes up again in 2026.
The Board approved a recommendation to award RFP 9000-1008-136 for the purchase of digital two-way radios to Mobile Communications America, Atlanta, Georgia at the total cost of $34,706.81 lowest bid received. MCA’s proposal also exceeded all requirements listed in the RFP. This will be paid for with SPLOST funds.
The Board approved to recommend Davenport & Company, LLC as a financial consultant for financial advisory services in the amount not to exceed $51,000.
Under Consent, several surplus items were approved.
The Board approved three recommendations from the Finance Committee:
- To accept the 2020 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and the Performance Audit on Special Purpose Local
Option Sales Tax report as prepared by Mauldin & Jenkins CPA.
- To purchase the used Yamaha grand piano from Tabernacle Baptist Church in the amount of $14,000 to be paid from CHS instructional money.
- To purchase temporary kitchen ovens:
- Blodgett BLC102E-H Combi Oven from Manning Brothers for $12,500.
- Rationale SCC 102E Combi Oven off the GEC Bid for $14,653.05.
- Ventless Exhaust Hood system, oven install kit and installation cost of $7,907.80 from Edward Don. All items paid from SPLOST.
The Board approved the following recommendations from the Policy Committee:
- To rescind the following policies:
– IDA – Basic Curriculum and Instructional Program
– IDAA – Career and Technical Education
- To adopt the following new policy:
– DFK – Gifts and Bequests
The Board approved the following personnel recommendations:
– Alejandra Tatiana Kirkland, School Nutrition Administrative Assistant, effective December 1, 2020
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Cartersville School Board is Monday, December 14, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. at the Board of Education Office, 15 Nelson Street.