The Adairsville Tigers beat the Sonoraville Phoenix by a score of 21-14 on Friday night.

Sonoraville had a long first possession as it drove down the field and got into the red zone. The Phoenix were close to scoring when they threw an interception in the end zone with around six minutes left in the first quarter. After the turnover, Adairsville had the ball on their own 20-yard line. Adairsville proceeded to drive down the field fairly quickly, and  got inside Sonoraville’s 10-yard line. Adairsville, with the ball at the 2-yard line, went for a fourth down conversion, but Eli Agnew was stood up at the line of scrimmage.

The Sonoraville offense drove down the field and scored a 23-yard touchdown pass to take a 7-0 lead with five minutes left in the second quarter. The Tigers once again drove down the field and got into Sonoraville territory, but were forced to punt. After its second, straight stop on defense, Sonoraville took a double-digit lead as it scored on a 5-yard rushing touchdown to go ahead 14-0 with 39 seconds left in the first half. Adairsville’s struggles continued as it threw an interception on the ensuing drive taking a 14-0 deficit into the half.

There wasn’t much action in the third quarter, but Soronoville did have one drive where it got down to the Adairsville one-yard line. A poor snap sent the ball over their quarterback’s head and the Pheonix eventually had to punt the ball away. Luckily, Adairsville failed to capitalize, and both teams were scoreless for the rest of the quarter.

Scoreless through the games first 36 minutes, Adairsville’s fortunes were about to change.

With 10 minutes to go in the game, Jonathan Gough threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to Caden Copeland for Adairsville’s first score of the game. But the Tigers missed the PAT.

Down eight late in a crucial, region game, insert the Riverboat Gambler.

Adairsville kicked an onside kick and recovered the ball on the Sonoraville 43-yard line. With 10 minutes left on the clock, the Tigers had a chance to tie the game and did just that. Gough threw a 13-yard touchdown pass and ran the ball in the end zone on the following two-point conversion to tie the score 14-14.

Sonoraville continued to do what it did all game long, and drove down the field while draining the clock. It got into Adairsville territory and set up a potential game-winning field goal with under a minute left to play.

Adairsville had other ideas.

The Tigers blocked the field goal and recovered the ball. After this game-changing play, Adairsville had one final drive to win the game. The Tigers drove down the field, and Gough threw a touchdown pass to Grayson Belcher to give Adairsville a 21-14 lead with just 10 seconds left in the game. After one last stop on defense, The Tigers completed the 14-point comeback and beat Sonoravile 21-14 at home.

The Adairsville Tigers will travel to take on the Rockmart Yellowjackets on October 22nd, with kickoff set for 7:30.