Press Release: Recognized as a national leader in General Surgery, Coronary Interventions, Pulmonary Care and Patient Safety
Cartersville, GA; November 26, 2018 – Cartersville Medical Center is among the top 10 percent in the nation in general surgery, coronary interventions, pulmonary care and patient safety, according to a national study by Healthgrades, the leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals. This achievement is part of findings featured in the Healthgrades 2019 Report to the Nation, which found that clinical performance continues to differ dramatically between hospitals regionally and nationally. Every year, Healthgrades evaluates hospital performance at almost 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 32 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions, as well as reporting on outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 15 states and the District of Columbia.*
“Commitment to quality, excellence in patient care, and patient safety are paramount at Cartersville Medical Center,” said Chris Mosley, CEO. “We appreciate the dedication and contribution of all hospital staff and physicians in making these designations by Healthgrades possible.”
In addition to specialty excellence awards, Cartersville Medical Center is also a Five-Star Recipient for several conditions and procedures within each of the recognized specialties.
Variation in care has a significant impact on health outcomes. For example, from 2015 through 2017, if all hospitals as a group performed similarly to hospitals receiving 5 stars as a group, then on average 222,210 lives could potentially have been saved and 157,210 in-hospital complications could potentially have been avoided.* A 5-star rating indicates that Cartersville Medical Center’s clinical outcomes are statistically significantly better than expected when treating the condition or performing the procedure being evaluated.
Below is the complete list of clinical achievements for Cartersville Medical Center as determined by Healthgrades:
- Recipient of the Healthgrades 2019 Coronary Intervention Excellence Award™
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Cardiology Services for 2 Years in a Row (2018-2019)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Coronary Interventional Procedures in 2019
- Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Interventional Procedures in 2019
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure for 6 Years in a Row (2014-2019)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™ for 4 Years in a Row (2016-2019)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services for 4 Years in a Row (2016-2019)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in 2019
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia for 5 Years in a Row (2015-2019)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades General Surgery Excellence Award™ for 3 Years in a Row (2017-2019)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for General Surgery for 3 Years in a Row (2017-2019)
- Five-Star Recipient for Colorectal Surgeries for 3 Years in a Row (2017-2019)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Bowel Obstruction for 2 Years in a Row (2018-2019) Critical Care
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis for 4 Years in a Row (2016-2019)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Respiratory Failure in 2019
- Recipient of the Healthgrades 2018 Patient Safety Excellence Award™
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Patient Safety in 2018
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Patient Safety in 2018
“With so many choices for care, consumers often find that their health journey can be difficult to navigate,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer at Healthgrades. “Information about hospital quality is helpful as they make decisions for their health, and Cartersville Medical Center has distinguished itself as an exceptional organization for multiple specialties and patient safety.”
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for almost 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 32 common conditions and procedures, and evaluated comparative outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 15 states and the District of Columbia. Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected) and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected) categories. The complete Healthgrades 2019 Report to the Nation and detailed study methodology can be found at www.healthgrades.com/quality/.
About Cartersville Medical Center
Cartersville Medical Center is a 119-bed acute care hospital, Chest Pain Center, Certified Primary Stroke Center, Level III Trauma Center, Certified Total Joint program and Gold Seal Inpatient Diabetes program accredited by the Joint Commission. The Breast Imaging Center at The Women’s Center provides mammography services that are gold seal accredited by the American College of Radiology. The Hope Center, a regional, Commission on Cancer approved cancer treatment facility, is conveniently located on the hospital campus and provides over 4,000 treatments with over 300 new patients per year from a ten county region.
For more information about programs and services offered at Cartersville Medical Center or The Hope Center, call MedLine at (800) 242-5662 or visit www.cartersvillemedical.com.
* Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of MedPAR data for years 2015 through 2017 and represent three-year estimates for Medicare patients only.