February 8, 2021
The Cartersville City Schools Board of Education met on Monday, February 8, 2021 for their regular session.
The Board recognized Jorie Wright, Instructional Support at Cartersville Elementary School, as our February Hill-Dean HEARTS Award winner in the Student Services category. Jorie provides exceptional guidance and support to teachers and students. Her assistance in helping teachers provide tiered support, not only from an academic perspective but also on a behavioral and social-emotional level to promote equitable access for all students is invaluable. One of her nominators said, “Her leadership is outstanding and ensures teachers get what they need in our professional learning communities. It is a privilege to work with such an amazing educator.” Jorie received a $50.00 gift card to Appalachian Grill and her name will be added to our perpetual plaque displayed at the Cartersville Board Office. New Frontier of Bartow County, Inc. proudly sponsors this award.
Each principal reported school updates to the Board.
During the Business Session, the following items were approved:
-The System Financial and Utility Cost and Usage Reports for December 2020.
-A bid for the Cartersville High School cafeteria was approved for the purchase of tables and seating from School & Office Supply, Knoxville,
Tennessee, in the amount of $111,457.00, low bid as specified.
-The Board approved to amend the FY22 budget by $300,000 to pay for COVID related expenses. This money is coming from the PILOT money.
Under Consent, the Board approved two disciplinary tribunals and several surplus items along with the following:
-The System Strategic Direction for Cartersville City Schools was approved.
-The Board approved waiving Policy DJED and recommending Code Avengers to provide teacher training and on-line curriculum for the
remainder of this school year and next school year.
-The Board recommended approval of the 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 proposed calendars.
Overnight/Out-of-State Trip Request:
-CHS JROTC Cadets to attend the Cadet Leader Challenge at the Georgia Military College in
Milledgeville, Georgia, June 7-10, 2021.
-Tabernacle Baptist Church to use the CHS stadium for Easter worship services on April 2-5, 2021, 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
-Bartow Family Resources to use the CMS school grounds and track for the 5K Glow Run on March 27, 2021, 6:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
-Georgia Center for Civic Engagement, Inc. to use the Cartersville Board of Education Boardroom, 15 Nelson Street, for a filming of a mock
legislative committee meeting for curriculum support on Saturday, February 20, 2021, from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Policy Committee recommendations:
- The Board approved clarification changes in the following policies and regulations:
JGI – Child Abuse or Neglect
JGI-R – Child Abuse/Neglect Procedures
LDAJA – Police Interrogations and Investigations
JAA – Equal Educational Opportunities (Nondiscrimination)
- The Board approved rescinding the following policy:
JAA-R – Equal Opportunity Complaint Procedure
- The Board approved recommending setting on the table for public review and comment the following policies containing substantive
JCAC – Sexual Harassment
IHF(6B) – Graduation Requirements
ED-R(1) – Bus Driver Guidelines and Rules
Finance Committee recommendations:
The Board approved the 2022 tuition rate of $300 per child to be paid by June 30th. After June 30th, there will be an additional charge of $50 per student for existing students.
The Board approved the following personnel recommendations:
– Jeffrey Peterson, CHS Teacher, effective February 1, 2021
– Nickie Mathis, CES School Nutrition Assistant, effective January 22, 2021
– Margaret Zimmer, CPS Teacher, retirement, with regret, effective February 12, 2021
– Denae Jackson, CES Teacher, effective June 2, 2021
– Teresa Lovingood, CES Counselor, effective end of 2020-21 school year
– Elizabeth Hensley, CHS Teacher, retirement, with regret, effective May 31, 2021
– Jeri-Lyn Tyson Flowers, CMS Teacher, retirement, with regret, effective end of 2020-21 school year
– Brad Burel, CMS Teacher, retirement, with regret, effective May 31, 2021
– Lisa Lorene Roberts, CMS Teacher, retirement, with regret, effective May 31, 2021
– Jennifer Graves, CPS Teacher, retirement, with regret, effective end of 2020-21 school year
– Mark Theiler, CPS Teacher, retirement, with regret, May 31, 2021
– Laura Murphy, CPS Teacher, effective February 9, 2021
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Cartersville School Board will be Monday, March 8, 2021 at 6:00 pm, at the Board of Education Office, 15 Nelson Street. We will recognize our school board members at this meeting in honor of National School Board Appreciation Week, which is celebrated every year in March.