Press Release from Cartersville Fire Dept.
The first day of spring, March 20th, is just around the corner. Here are some tips that will help keep your family and home safer this season:
- Clear leaves, debris and other yard waste from around the home, garage and storage sheds.
- Maintenance you lawn equipment such as mowers, weed trimmers and leaf blowers
- Properly store containers of paint, solvents, and fuel in approved containers.
- Check for frayed or damaged electrical cords and wires, and have them repaired by a qualified professional.
- Air conditioning units should be serviced.
- Barbeque gas grills, including gas hoses and propane tanks, should be inspected prior to use.
- Remove any combustibles from around hot water tanks, clothes dryers and vents and any heating equipment.
- Remove lint buildup from clothes dryers.
- Take stacks of newspapers and magazines to recycling centers.
- Get rid of oily rags and cloths used to wipe up fuel spills.
- Clean up work areas by putting away dangerous tools, matches and other items that should not be accessible to children.
- Windows should be checked to make sure they open and close properly in case they are needed as emergency exits.
- Review and practice your family’s Fire Escape Plan.
- Smoke detector batteries should be checked and replaced if necessary, also replace any smoke detector older than 10 years.
For information about the above or any questions on how to make your home safer from fire contact Cartersville Fire Prevention Division at Cartersville Fire Headquarters 195 Cassville Rd. Cartersville, GA 30120 (770) 387-5635